The Shining (preorder)
|Limited Edition||SOLD OUT|
|Lettered Edition||SOLD OUT|
(preorder—to be published in November 2013)
Dust jacket and interior illustrations TBA
Signature Page illustration by Dagmara Matuszak
Important Ordering Notes:
- Only one Limited and Lettered Edition per customer, household, or plane of existence.
- There is no limit on the number of Gift editions you may order
- We regret that we are not able to accept phone orders for this title.
- We accept Visa, MasterCard, and PayPal.
- No coupons, specials, or savings certificates may be applied to the purchase of this title.
- We will be able to honor requests for specific numbers of The Shining, on a first come, first served basis. There may be a few exceptions to this rule. You will be notified if this is the case for your request. Please note that copy #217, which we expect to be a popular request, is already spoken for. Please put your request in the comments section of the order form.
- We charge at the time an order is placed; that said, we expect so many orders that it may take us a couple of weeks to process them all. Please be patient and wait two weeks before querying if your order has gone through.
- We're not able to offer free US shipping on preorders of The Shining.
- For a limited time, those who preorder any edition of The Shining direct from Subterranean Press will also receive a bonus chapbook of Gabriel Rodriguez’s rough sketches. We won’t be able to keep this offer going all the way until publication—it will disappear without warning—so please get your order in soon.
When The Shining was first published in 1977, it left an immediate and indelible impression. At once terrifying and intensely human, it set the standard for the modern horror novel, and remains as vital and affecting today as it was thirty-five years ago.
The story The Shining tells has assumed a permanent place in American popular culture. It is, first of all, the story of a family: Jack and Wendy Torrance and their extraordinarily gifted son, Danny. The Torrances are a family in crisis. They have come to the Overlook Hotel, a deluxe resort set in an isolated corner of the Colorado Rockies, to serve as winter caretakers and to recover from a series of bruising personal defeats. But, as they soon discover, the Overlook is more than a hotel. It is a malign, voracious entity with an extravagantly violent history, and it is determined to absorb the Torrance family—Danny in particular—into its dark heart.
The Shining is a novel in which all of the varied elements—scenes, setting, character—come triumphantly together. The Overlook Hotel, with its haunted rooms, elaborate traps, and twisted secrets, is one of the most compelling backdrops in all of horror fiction. And the Torrances, with their tragic flaws, hidden wounds, and profound, often frustrated love for one another, are as real and credible as the people we encounter in our everyday lives. The result is a novel with the narrative power and emotional resonance of a classic. It is, and will always be, a consummate example of the storyteller’s art.
The Subterranean Press edition of The Shining will be printed in two colors throughout.
Lettered: 52 signed, specially bound copies, housed in a custom traycase, with an original remarque.
Limited: 750 signed numbered copies, housed in a custom traycase
Gift: 1500 unsigned cloth bound copies, housed in a custom slipcase
One final note: We're not responsible for lost or damaged international orders of the Limited and Lettered edition of The Shining.